    SubjectRe: About /etc/mtab and /proc/mounts
    Måns Rullgård wrote:

    > > > /dev/shm ? Supposed to be there on many systems anyway. Fix
    > > > 'mount' and 'umount' so that if they see /etc/mtab is a symlink,
    > > > they follow it and create the temp files etc in the destination
    > > > directory of the link instead of in /etc. Then
    > > > ln -sf /dev/shm/mtab /etc/mtab et voila
    > >
    > > I thought, this is what /var is for. So, /var/run, /var/lib/misc or
    > > /var/etc might be more appropriate?
    >
    > What if /var is mounted separately?

    I agree with all of you.

    /dev/shm is widely available, and is a filesystem of the desired type.
    /var is intended for this kind of data, and /var/run seems intuitively
    the right location. But /dev as well as /var are often mountpoints. So
    to use those locations would introduce more mountpoints that will need
    special care early in the startup scripts. And mounting them before
    running fsck is a problem.

    All of those thoughts is what lead me to the suggestion of a new
    directory or symlink in the root. You can point it anywhere you want
    mtab. And you don't need to mount any filesystems before the symlink
    can be used. A symlink in the other direction would not work that well.

    --
    Kasper Dupont -- der bruger for meget tid på usenet.
    For sending spam use mailto:aaarep@daimi.au.dk