    SubjectRe: About /etc/mtab and /proc/mounts
    In article <>,
    Kasper Dupont <> wrote:
    >A simpler solution, that does not require changes to the kernel
    >would be to just move mtab to a more apropriate location. My
    >suggestion would be to change it from /etc/mtab to /mtab.d/mtab.
    >Then you could mount a tmpfs filesystem on /mtab.d. Or by making
    >/mtab.d a symlink, you can get the mtab file whereever you want,
    >including /etc.

    /dev/shm ? Supposed to be there on many systems anyway. Fix
    'mount' and 'umount' so that if they see /etc/mtab is a symlink,
    they follow it and create the temp files etc in the destination
    directory of the link instead of in /etc. Then
    ln -sf /dev/shm/mtab /etc/mtab et voila

    I've been thinking of doing this for Debian.

    Anyone who is capable of getting themselves made President should
    on no account be allowed to do the job -- Douglas Adams.

      Last update: 2005-03-22 13:33    [W:0.385 / U:15.452 seconds]