> > > already, this is one silly feature I'll definitely keep out of the
> > > ARM tree.
> >
> > Why not make it a config option (like the other (two? three?) rejected
> > patches that implemented this did)?
> I, for one, do not see any point in trying to put more and more crap
> into one file, when its perfectly easy to just use the "cp" command
> to produce the same end result, namely a copy of zImage,
> and configuration, thusly:
> cp arch/$ARCH/boot/zImage /boot/vmlinuz-$VERSION
> cp .config /boot/config-$VERSION
> cp /boot/$VERSION

Hmm, and how would you implement that on a system (ppc/prep) that could very
easily netboot a kernel... no /boot needed? I for one build kernels on one
box that is more or less production and netboot another just to see it fail
horribly... having all stuff in one file could help....
Met vriendelijke groeten,

Remco Post

SARA - Stichting Academisch Rekencentrum Amsterdam
High Performance Computing Tel. +31 20 592 8008 Fax. +31 20 668 3167

"I really didn't foresee the Internet. But then, neither did the computer
industry. Not that that tells us very much of course - the computer industry
didn't even foresee that the century was going to end." -- Douglas Adams