    SubjectRe: zImage now holds vmlinux, System.map and config in sections. (fwd)
    On Tue, 25 Feb 2003 11:35:57 +0000
    Russell King <rmk@arm.linux.org.uk> wrote:

    | On Tue, Feb 25, 2003 at 01:07:04PM +0200, Ville Herva wrote:
    | > On Tue, Feb 25, 2003 at 09:25:20AM +0000, you [Russell King] wrote:
    | > > Agreed - zImage is already around 1MB on many ARM machines, and since
    | > > already, this is one silly feature I'll definitely keep out of the
    | > > ARM tree.
    | >
    | > Why not make it a config option (like the other (two? three?) rejected
    | > patches that implemented this did)?
    |
    | I, for one, do not see any point in trying to put more and more crap
    | into one file, when its perfectly easy to just use the "cp" command
    | to produce the same end result, namely a copy of zImage, System.map
    | and configuration, thusly:
    |
    | cp arch/$ARCH/boot/zImage /boot/vmlinuz-$VERSION
    | cp .config /boot/config-$VERSION
    | cp System.map /boot/System.map-$VERSION

    Yes, that almost matches my 'new.kernel' install script.

    | No hastles with configuration options. No hastles with bloated zImage
    | files. No hastles with adding extra stuff to makefiles to do special
    | mangling to zImage.

    Yes, you wouldn't have to use it.

    | If people are worried about vmlinuz being out of step with config, once
    | you add the above to the installation target of the kernel makefile,
    | unless you do things manually, you won't get out of step.
    |
    | If you're worried about config-* and System.map-* being out of step with
    | the kernel you're running, exactly the same applies to the "everything
    | in one file" version as well.
    |
    | If you need to make a backup of it:
    |
    | mkdir /boot/old
    | cp /boot/*-$VERSION /boot/old
    |
    | Nice. Simple. No crap.

    I'm just guessing that it will be difficult to convince you otherwise,
    but I think you are missing the point of this. It's not for someone
    who already has scripts to handle this or already uses 3+ commands
    to handle it every time that they build a new kernel. It's for
    people who are less organized than you are -- gosh, maybe even
    for Linux users.

    --
    ~Randy