    From: linux-kernel-owner@vger.kernel.org
    [mailto:linux-kernel-owner@vger.kernel.org]On Behalf Of Brian Jackson
    Sent: Saturday, February 15, 2003 10:35 PM
    To: linux-kernel@vger.kernel.org; davej@codemonkey.org.uk;
    brian@brianandsara.net
    Subject: 2.5 AGP for 2.4.21-pre4

    This is a poor attempt at a backport of the 2.5.61 AGP subsystem by someone
    who doesn't know what he is doing and is in way over his head. That said,
    are
    there any "brave" souls out there that want to try this out with an AGP3
    card
    and 2.4.21pre4. I compile/boot tested it with an old ati card, but I don't
    have an AGP 3.0 card/MB to test it on. I got into X and ran glxgears using
    this kernel(I am using it to finish writing this email)

    http://www.mdrx.com/brian/2.4.21-pre4-2.5agp.diff.gz

    caveats:
    agp has to be built in to the kernel (no modules)

    I did the following:
    copied the drivers/char/agp directory from 2.5.61
    copied include/asm-*/agp.h from 2.5.61
    copied include/linux/*agp.h from 2.5.61
    made some changes to drivers/char/agp/Makefile
    on line 619&635 of frontend.c changed remap_page_range to only have 4
    arguments
    line 705 generic.c changed SetPageLocked -->SetPageReserved
    (not sure if this is right, but Locked doesn't exist in 2.4 and I thought
    Reserved might work -- Let me know if this should be something else)
    backend.c:241 & backend.c:263 commented references to 2.5 module stuff
    (therefore this only safe to be built into the kernel for now, any ideas
    what
    I should use here instead?)
    added some device id's to drivers/char/agp/agp.h from
    2.5.61/include/linux/pci_ids.h
    uninclude gfp.h & linux/page-flags.h from amd-k7-agp.c

    What else I need to do:
    change to old style module init stuff

    This is nowhere near suitable for production use, but I would like some
    people
    that actually have AGP3 cards/MB's to try this out

    - --Brian Jackson

    P.S. All criticism is welcome even flaming since I am in a decent mood right
    now

    P.S.S. To Dave Jones -- I thought 2.5 had support for VIA chipsets & AGP3,
    but
    I only saw config options for the 7205/7505

    - -

      Last update: 2005-03-22 13:33    [W:0.036 / U:4.400 seconds]