SubjectRe: Synchronous signal delivery..
On Thu, 13 Feb 2003, Linus Torvalds wrote:

> On Thu, 13 Feb 2003, Davide Libenzi wrote:
> >
> > That's really nice, I like file-based interfaces. No plan to have a way to
> > change the sig-mask ? Close and reopen ?
>
> You can have multiple fd's open at the same time, which is a lot more
> convenient.
>
> I will _not_ add a fcntl-like or ioctl interface to this. They are ugly
> _and_ there are security issues (ie if you pass on the fd to somebody
> else, they must not be able to change the signal mask _you_ specified).

It does not have necessarily to be just another ioctl/fcntl, it can be a
write. About security, chages might be allowed only to the task that
created the fd, if you're concerned. It's not that someone will starve
w/out such functionality though.

> > What do you think about having timers through a file interface ?
>
> One of the reasons for the "flags" field (which is not unused) was because
> I thought it might have extensions for things like alarms etc.

I was thinking more like :

int timerfd(int timeout, int oneshot);

that returns a pollable fd.

- Davide