    SubjectRe: Synchronous signal delivery..
    On Thu, 13 Feb 2003, Linus Torvalds wrote:

    > On Thu, 13 Feb 2003, Davide Libenzi wrote:
    > >
    > > That's really nice, I like file-based interfaces. No plan to have a way to
    > > change the sig-mask ? Close and reopen ?
    >
    > You can have multiple fd's open at the same time, which is a lot more
    > convenient.
    >
    > I will _not_ add a fcntl-like or ioctl interface to this. They are ugly
    > _and_ there are security issues (ie if you pass on the fd to somebody
    > else, they must not be able to change the signal mask _you_ specified).

    It does not have necessarily to be just another ioctl/fcntl, it can be a
    write. About security, chages might be allowed only to the task that
    created the fd, if you're concerned. It's not that someone will starve
    w/out such functionality though.

    > > What do you think about having timers through a file interface ?
    >
    > One of the reasons for the "flags" field (which is not unused) was because
    > I thought it might have extensions for things like alarms etc.

    I was thinking more like :

    int timerfd(int timeout, int oneshot);

    that returns a pollable fd.

    - Davide

      Last update: 2005-03-22 13:33    [W:0.019 / U:183.044 seconds]