    SubjectRe: Object system in Linux kernel?
    On Mon, Feb 10, 2003 at 09:28:16PM -0500, Mark G wrote:
    > I saw your post to linux-kernel about wanting setjmp/longjmp for adding an
    > OO infrastructure.

    Having already developed the infrastructure, we had some "bits and
    pieces" that we (me and my team) thought that the Linux development
    team might find useful, including:

    1) setjmp/longjmp
    2) Atomic pointer swap with locking.
    3) Atomic integer increment.
    3) Atomic integer decrement.

    for the PA-RISC, Itanium2 and IA32 architechtures.

    I was not actually offering our OO Infrastructure to the Linux
    development team, for what are probably obvious reasons by now.

    But I thought that they might be interested in the above list of
    funtions.

    I offered, the offer was rejected, and I consider the discussion closed.

    > I have actually developed several OO "cores" -- is this
    > something you wrote?

    Myself, interacting with several team members who used this
    infrastructure to write a USB bus driver, and some class
    drivers.

    > If you ever want to talk about designs, let me know...

    I am interested in what solutions you've developed for solving the
    interaction of exceptions and resources. We developed three
    different solutions, profiled, and chose the best of the three,
    but I'm curious as to how other people might have solved this issue.

    Our infrastructure supports Hot Patch, Package and Extension
    Design patterns, among others. What design patterns, in your
    opinion, do you think are "required" for embedded/kernel
    development?

    Also, what is your take on support for messaging and true
    polymorphism? The C++ "nick-naming" thing just doesn't work in
    a dynamic system, to say nothing of the much more serious issues
    raised by constraining the abstract type system by the concrete type
    of an object (shudder!).

    Making those two things orthogonal was enough, all by itself, to
    reduce the prospective inheritance depth of the driver from 18
    to between 3 and 5 levels.

    Thanks,
    John S.

      Last update: 2005-03-22 13:33    [W:0.023 / U:60.608 seconds]