    Hello List,

    I am new to this so please forgive this post if it seems stupid.

    Is it possible to design a SMP-Linux kernel with architecture
    independent SMP support, for example, like the VFS provides an
    interface to specific filesystems, the "VSMP" can provide an
    architecture independent way to support SMP? There can be a function
    that does the spinlock stuff and underneath is a machine dependent
    implementation (this is already done for x86, what about other MP
    capable architectures?), and same for the scheduler. Lots of other
    stuff like TLB issues and so on would have to be taken care of as
    well. I'm no expert on SMP so I don't really know if a "virtual" SMP
    support is possible in the way I am describing it.

    Is this an interesting idea to anyone? I expect it has been thought
    of before, but maybe it needs a hell of a lot of research to even
    begin thinking about it seriously. If anyone is interesting in really
    thrashing this out off list (or on list, but is this considered bad
    netiquette?), please mail me. I am very interested in discussing this
    in horrid detail :-)

    When I buy my SMP system, I plan to hack in the first stages of such
    "VSMP" support if it's feasible.

    Again, I don't really know what I'm doing so please go easy on me :-)
    I am still in the early stages of soaking up the stuff in the Intel
    CPU programming manuals.

      Last update: 2005-03-22 13:33    [W:0.019 / U:8.268 seconds]