SubjectRe: Current Status of Module Utilities for 2.5 Kernels?

On Sat, 1 Feb 2003, Tomas Szepe wrote:

> > [lkml-read@khat-fox.com]
> >
> > I'm using Slackware 9.0 beta as my distribution, which uses gcc 3.2.1 as
> > its C compiler. My problems started when I noted that kernel 2.4 is not
> > compilable by gcc v3.x.
>
> gcc-3.2.1 compiles 2.4.20 (at least) just fine.
> I can confirm that standard sw90 development packages are ok.

Yes, I finally was able to get 2.4.20 to build for me. Turns out that I
had to massage the build configuration a little bit first. Reminds me of
a few fernels that wouldn't build *unless* SMP was enabled in the config.
SMP on a single CPU machine? Yes, I like wasting 400K by putting in a
feature that I won't actually be using.
> > gcc 3.x. My upgrade produced another hitch, I was unable to use modules.
> > My video card, which uses an nVidia TNT2, is of limited usefulness without
> > the ability to load modules.
> >
> > Is there a work-around for my problems?
>
> Yes, you need to read the archives prior to posting a question
> to see if another 50 people haven't posted the same one before.

Ah, the archives. Would these be the same archives that are both
incomplete, and scattered across three, maybe more, locations? Kernel
Traffic is the best of the lot, and I had problems searching it. I do a
simple search for 'modutils' and it spits out 350+K of stuff. Stuff that
has absolutely nothing to do with the module utilities.

  Last update: 2005-03-22 13:32    [W:0.054 / U:1.024 seconds]