SubjectRe: udev sysfs docs Re: State of devfs in 2.6?
mru@kth.se (Måns Rullgård) writes:
> Let me give an example. Hotplug will automatically load the ALSA
> drivers for my sound card, and /dev/snd/* are created (by devfs or
> udev, it doesn't matter for now). Suppose that, some time, I run a
> program that tries to use OSS for sound. Now, the ALSA OSS emulation
> is not loaded by hotplug, and I don't want it to. It's nice to have
> snd-pcm-oss automatically loaded when some legacy application tries to
> use /dev/dsp.

For this sort of case it seems like it would be much cleaner to have
some sort of proxy device that would load the module upon open -- so the
also drivers would end up creating both alsa entries in /dev, and also
proxy entries for the supported oss devices.

That way, you could have the explicit device entry (which I think is all
around saner), but not the overhead of rarely used modules.

-Miles
--
In New York, most people don't have cars, so if you want to kill a person, you
have to take the subway to their house. And sometimes on the way, the train