    SubjectRe: udev sysfs docs Re: State of devfs in 2.6?
    On Mon, Dec 08, 2003 at 02:09:47PM -0500, Bob wrote:
    > William Lee Irwin III wrote:
    > >On Mon, Dec 08, 2003 at 03:36:26PM +0000, Andrew Walrond wrote:
    > >

    > >>Whats the general feeling about devfs now? I remember Christoph and
    > >>others making some nasty remarks about it 6months ago or so, but later
    > >>noted christoph doing some slashing and burning thereof.
    > >>Is it 'nice' yet?
    > >>Andrew Walrond
    > >>

    > >I would say it's deprecated at the very least. sysfs and udev are
    > >supposed to provide equivalent functionality, albeit by a somewhat
    > >different mechanism.
    > >

    > >-- wli
    > >
    > Where can we find documentation on sysfs and udev,
    > and on transition issues?

    Oh come on, google for "udev FAQ". It's been posted here a number of

    > I know devfs hasn't been maintained for a long time but the
    > documentation for it comes with kernel source and there it is in
    > menuconfig.

    udev is a user program, and it's documentation is not in the kernel
    tree. It's within the source of udev, and is quite extensive.

    > Every time I hear that udev and sysfs replace devfs I
    > wonder where to pick up the thread, where is that doc,
    > where is the menuconfig option ;-)

    There is neither. You always get sysfs in 2.6, and udev is a user
    program. No kernel options to enable (well, you do need CONFIG_HOTPLUG
    enabled I guess...)

    Please read the udev docs and FAQ, it is there for a reason.

    greg k-h

      Last update: 2005-03-22 13:59    [W:0.021 / U:12.444 seconds]