SubjectRe: balance interrupts
Most IO-APIC systems have PCI interrupt lines hard-wired directly to
IO-APIC interrupt pins. If an interrupt isn't where you want it to be,
you need to physically move a card to another slot so that it gets a
different wire. A board with decent documentation will tell you what
slots get which interrupt wires.

Today basically all boards have also a PIRQ router that is used to map
these PCI interrupt wires down into PIC interrupt inputs for when the
system is in PIC compatibility mode (eg. when running the booter).
Sometimes they can also re-map interrupt lines in IO-APIC mode.

Since your system is running in ACPI mode, the output of acpidmp is
needed to figure out exactly that the BIOS is saying the board can do.
The output of lspci -l with this will tell us if we can split apart the
SATA interrupts, or if they're wired together.

Another twist is that sometimes enabling/disabling devices in the BIOS
SETUP will change how the BIOS configures the hardware and make more
interrupts available. Here, for example, USB seems to be low hanging
fruit on a high-rent >= 16 IRQ.

If you're not using ACPI features, you might also try booting with
"acpi=off" and see if the chip-set PIRQ router does a better job for
you.

cheers,
-Len

On Mon, 2003-12-08 at 12:59, Julien Oster wrote:
> Hello!
>
> Now that my IO-APIC finally works without lockups (thanks to all!) on
> my nforce2 boards, my interrupts are much less crowded. However,
> there's still one line in /proc/interrupts which I don't really like,
> it's also the only line where more than one piece of hardware shares
> the same interrupt:
>
> 18: 445160 IO-APIC-level ide2, ide3, eth0
>
> ide2 and ide3 are my onboard Silicon Image SATA controller. I guess
> you can't keep them apart on to different interrupts, since it's only
> one chip which is most probably connected to one IRQ line only.
>
> But I don't think that eth0 has to be on the same interrupt as my SATA
> controller. So, how do I make it go away to another place? I would be
> fine sharing it with e.g. eth1, which is alone on IRQ 19.
>
> BTW, the whole /proc/interrupts looks like this:
>
> CPU0
> 0: 40022145 IO-APIC-edge timer
> 1: 62950 IO-APIC-edge i8042
> 2: 0 XT-PIC cascade
> 8: 681626 IO-APIC-edge rtc
> 9: 0 IO-APIC-level acpi
> 12: 55 IO-APIC-edge i8042
> 14: 968274 IO-APIC-edge ide0
> 15: 1789182 IO-APIC-edge ide1
> 16: 404489 IO-APIC-level EMU10K1
> 18: 445160 IO-APIC-level ide2, ide3, eth0
> 19: 1596427 IO-APIC-level eth1
> 20: 0 IO-APIC-level ohci_hcd
> 21: 0 IO-APIC-level NVidia nForce2
> 22: 36730 IO-APIC-level ohci_hcd
> NMI: 0
> LOC: 40021891
> ERR: 0
> MIS: 310
>
> Regards,
> Julien
> -
> linux-kernel" in

  Last update: 2005-03-22 13:59    [W:0.099 / U:0.444 seconds]