SubjectRe: Prcess scheduler Imiprovements in 2.6.0-test9

Craig Thomas wrote:

>OSDL has been running peformance tests with hackbench to measure the
>improvment of the scheduler, compared with LInux 2.4.18. We ran the
>test on our Scalable Test Platform on different system sizes. The
>results obtained seem to show that the 2.6 scheduler is more
>efficient and allows for greater scalability on larger systems.
>See http://marc.theaimsgroup.com/?l=linux-kernel&m=100805466304516&w=2
>for a description of hackbench.
>
>The set of data below shows an average time of five hackbench runs
>for each set of groups. Linux 2.6.0-test9 clearly shows significan
>improvement in the completion times.
>
>Test set 1: Performance of hackbench
>
>(times are in seconds, lower number is better)
>
>number of groups 50 100 150 200
>1 CPU
> 2.4.18 15.52 37.63 74.34 110.62
> 2.6.0-test9 9.91 17.86 27.55 39.77
>2 CPUs
> 2.4.18 10.50 30.42 64.26 112.46
> 2.6.0-test9 7.44 13.45 19.68 26.68
>4 CPUs
> 2.4.18 7.07 22.75 54.10 101.45
> 2.6.0-test9 5.16 9.25 13.64 18.65
>8 CPUs
> 2.4.18 7.02 24.63 61.48 114.93
> 2.6.0-test9 4.08 7.15 10.31 13.84

Hi Craig,
The numbers here are very impressive. Is there is an easy way
to make a table of results like this with STP? What is the
exact parameter line you pass to hackbench to get this?
These are results from a run with my scheduler patch on the
8-way. Not sure if they're comparable but if so they are a
small improvement.

20 1.69
40 2.54
60 3.41
80 4.38
100 5.44

  Last update: 2005-03-22 13:59    [W:0.055 / U:0.048 seconds]