    SubjectRe: The x Bit Problem
    Grant Miner wrote:

    > An interesting thing I discovered is that Windows simply ignores the
    > 'x' bit (I should say the Windows equivalent of the 'x' bit, called
    > "traverse folder / execute file"), but there is a policy setting that
    > overrides this attribute.
    > I know users get tripped up on this a lot in Unix, like when they
    > don't understand why the webserver can't read their public_html
    > directory. It might be a good option for Linux.
    The right solution is to have a separate readdir permission, so that a
    file-directory can be not executable but be listable, and vice-versa.
    The problem comes from overloading the bit and also changing whether
    objects can be simultaneously files and directories.

      Last update: 2005-03-22 13:59    [W:0.019 / U:241.504 seconds]