Do you know whether the nforce2's with apic support the timer (IRQ 0) in
IO-APIC mode? To me, it seems like a bug:
"Dec 4 20:13:11 tesore kernel: ..MP-BIOS bug: 8254 timer not connected to
(This message originates in arch/i386/kernel/io_apic.c)

nmi_watchdog doesn't seem to work at all because of this. If it was working,
then maybe I can catch the lockup, because if it's like you say, it's probably
the kernel not hardware.