    SubjectRe: Linux GPL and binary module exception clause?
    Jesse Pollard <jesse@cats-chateau.net> wrote:

    > It is if you are referring to the Kernel. Look at the include
    > files. They are licened under GPL.
    >
    > Look at the include files for applications. They are licenced
    > under LGPL.

    Really? Have you looked at the include files for Linux? The standard C
    include files that nearly every program uses will end up also *including*
    Linux kernel header files in order to build programs for Linux. Not all
    programs will end up including those files, but a very large portion
    will.

    If you don't believe me, do a grep under /usr/include/sys on your machine
    for 'linux', and see how many of the header files include stuff from
    /usr/include/linux. All the files under /usr/include/linux are part of
    the kernel, so theoretically under the pure GPL, not LGPL.

    Then again I say 'theoretically' because once again there is nary a
    kernel header file in sight that actually *has* a GPL license header
    attached! So who knows what license those files are *really* under.

    Regards,

    ---
    Kendall Bennett
    Chief Executive Officer
    SciTech Software, Inc.
    Phone: (530) 894 8400
    http://www.scitechsoft.com

    ~ SciTech SNAP - The future of device driver technology! ~

      Last update: 2005-03-22 13:59    [W:0.022 / U:92.060 seconds]