SubjectRe: Is there a "make hole" (truncate in middle) syscall?

Philippe> Peter Chubb <peter@chubb.wattle.id.au> writes:

Rob> You can make a file with a hole by seeking past it and never
Rob> writing to that bit, but is there any way to punch a hole in a
Rob> file after the fact? (I mean other with lseek and write. Having
Rob> a sparse file as the result....)
>> SVr4 has fcntl(fd, F_FREESP, flock) that frees the space covered by
>> the struct flock in the file. Linux doesn't have this, at least in
>> the baseline kernels.
Philippe> However most SVr4 (at least Solaris and HP-UX) only
Philippe> implement FREESP when the freed space is at the file's
Philippe> tail. In other words, FREESP can only be used to implement
Philippe> ftruncate().

The original SVr4 worked in the middle of files too.