    SubjectRe: Is there a "make hole" (truncate in middle) syscall?
    Rob Landley <> writes:

    > You can make a file with a hole by seeking past it and never writing to that
    > bit, but is there any way to punch a hole in a file after the fact? (I mean
    > other with lseek and write. Having a sparse file as the result....)

    I've never heard of one.

    > What are the downsides of holes? (How big do they have to be to
    > actually save space, is there a performance penalty to having a file
    > with 1000 4k holes in it, etc...)

    A hole has to be at least the size of one block in the filesystem,
    typically 4k, to save any space. Regarding performance, I would
    expect it to improve for reads.

    Måns Rullgård

      Last update: 2005-03-22 13:59    [W:0.029 / U:1.096 seconds]