    SubjectRe: udev and devfs - The final word
    Greg KH wrote:

    > In fact, now that I know Gentoo works without devfs, I'm considering
    > putting it on an old laptop I have around here...

    That would be ideal. I'm sure you will like the 'portage' system as
    much as we (the gentoo hordes) do.

    Note that the portage system already includes 'hotplug' and 'udev'
    but possibly lagging behind a bit: hotplug-20030805-r3 and udev-011.

    I have installed them both but just have not been able to get udev
    working yet -- I don't yet understand the problems well enough to tell
    you why, unfortutately. (udev is still marked 'experimental' so I'm
    probably omitting important steps somewhere.)

    If you could get udev working in gentoo you would become an instant
    hero rather than the target of nasty emails. Think of how great
    that would be for your New Year! We would become the wind beneath
    your wings instead of the rotten tomatoes in your mailbox ;0)

      Last update: 2005-03-22 13:59    [W:0.083 / U:61.280 seconds]