SubjectRe: All filesystems hang under long periods of heavy load (read and write) on a filesystem
Hi Marcelo,

On Mon, 29 Dec 2003, Marcelo Tosatti wrote:

> > there is certainly something nasty in the released 2.4.23 IDE code...
>
> The attached patch from Daniel Lux should fix it. Its has just been
> applied to the 2.4 BK tree.
>
> Please try it.

Thanks very much for the patch, I can see how that piece of code could
well be causing the problem.

Between my message and your reply, someone else came up with another
clue for me and I found that enabling DMA for the drive appears if not
to fix the problem at least to avoid it fairly well. I think using
DMA for most of the transfers makes it less likely that the lockup
will be triggered. At least this gets me out of the immediate bind.

It's a busy machine and it's a little painful to keep rebooting it.
I'm going to put an identical one together for testing. When I've
done that I'll test the patch to destruction.

It will be a couple of weeks before I can get to the bench to do it,
but then it should only take a few hours to be sure it's a good fix.
I'll certainly get back to you with the results.

Thanks again for the pointer.

73,
Ged.

  Last update: 2005-03-22 13:59    [W:0.071 / U:0.192 seconds]