SubjectRe: no DRQ after issuing WRITE was Re: 2.4.23-uv3 patch set released
On Tue, 2003-12-30 at 16:57, Linus Torvalds wrote:

> Is CONFIG_PREEMPT on in the cases, and is there really no locking
> anywhere? Preempting in the middle of the data transfer phase sounds like
> a fundamentally bad idea, and maybe the code needs a few preempt
> disable/enable pairs somewhere?

Is the kernel patched with kernel preemption? It is not in stock 2.4.

Anyhow, if interrupts are disabled, preemption should be disabled (we
check for that condition in both preempt_schedule() and

If interrupts are not disabled, then preempting would definitely be a
bad thing. But I would think, for the same reasons you do not want to
preempt, you would want interrupts disabled ..

Rob Love