    SubjectRe: Why is hotplug a kernel helper?
    Greg KH writes:
    > On Thu, Dec 04, 2003 at 03:00:51AM +0100, Fredrik Tolf wrote:
    > > Greg KH writes:
    > > >
    > > > Please see the archives for why this is, it's been argued many times.
    > >
    > > I am sincerely sorry for being a bother, but I have spent several
    > > hours searching far and wide for information on it, both in the
    > > archives and generally on the web, without any luck in finding
    > > anything. If it's not too much to ask, would you be as kind as to
    > > provide a pointer?
    >
    > Here was the latest thread where this was brought up:
    > http://marc.theaimsgroup.com/?t=105544548100008
    >
    > I would suggest reading this post from Linus for a quick summary:
    > http://marc.theaimsgroup.com/?l=linux-kernel&m=105552804303171

    Thank you for those references. I must have mistyped something while
    searching, since all the keywords I searched for were in the
    text... Sorry for wasting your time on that.

    > > Btw., Is there any preferred method of announcing hotplug events to
    > > user interfaces?
    >
    > Yes there is a standard. Have you read the docs at
    > http://linux-hotplug.sf.net/ ? Also my 2001 OLS paper details the
    > format the messages should be in, but it's a bit out of date as to the
    > new values that the 2.6 kernel sends.

    No, I haven't. I just put that question in the mail as a side-thing. I
    had not expected more than a yes/no reply. In any case, I will read
    it. Thanks again.

    > What do you want to use the hotplug interface for that it currently does
    > not do?

    Admittedly, I'm still using the RH8 hotplug scripts, and I suspect
    improvements have been made since then. I was mainly looking for a way
    to auto-mount USB mass storage devices without having to reconfigure
    anything as root. I have all the info I need now, though.

    Thank you very much for your help.

    Fredrik Tolf

      Last update: 2005-03-22 13:59    [W:0.036 / U:35.004 seconds]