    SubjectRe: Linux 2.4 future
    On Wed, Dec 03, 2003 at 05:24:20PM -0800, jw schultz wrote:
    > <OT>
    > As a datapoint i'm running ext2, reiserfs, JFS and XFS each
    > for different reasons.
    > ext2 -- boot (i'm stodgy) and 2kb blocks for archive CDs
    > reiserfs3 -- filesystems not exported nfs (no
    > historical version level that i can confirm whether
    > i have or not will namesys assert is reliable over
    > nfs)

    Maybe you should just try it? I've used reiserfs on an NFS/samba server,
    and it didn't give me trouble.

    > jfs -- most nfs exported filesystems, decent
    > performance and solid but i don't use if for home
    > because in SuSE's 2.4.18 (i know it is ancient but
    > solid for me) jfs doesn't update mtime of
    > directories unless the block allocation changes
    > breaking maildir update detection.

    This has been fixed in newer versions of JFS though, right?

    > xfs -- home (because of the jfs bug) Earlier tests
    > of xfs gave me horrible performance and i haven't
    > gotten around to testing since then. If this is
    > fixed without tuning i might drop jfs. Then again i
    > may drop xfs in the next upgrade if i change distros
    > and xfs isn't in-kernel.

    What about ext3? I tend to prefer ext3 since I know how it works more than
    the others, and it puts data integrity ahead of performance, which is the
    way things should be (TM).

      Last update: 2005-03-22 13:59    [W:0.020 / U:51.368 seconds]