    SubjectRe: Blank Screen in 2.6.0

    On Mon, 29 Dec 2003, Paul Misner wrote:

    > On Sunday 28 December 2003 12:14 pm, dan@eglifamily.dnsalias.net wrote:
    > > Ok. After being without power for the past few days due to record
    > > snowfall, I'm alive again. So I made the changes people had recomended on
    > > the list. Upgraded to the lastest module-init-tools, and disabled the
    > > frame buffer support in the kernel. So the only graphic option enabled is
    > > text mode selection. But when I boot I still get a blank screen!
    > >
    > > My lilo.conf contains a line: vga=773, which works beautifully under
    > > RedHat's stock 2.4.20-8. I get a nice screen with approximately 132x48
    > > display. Under 2.4.20 I am not loading any frame buffer that I'm aware of.
    > > It's not listed in my moduiles:
    > >

    > Just a suggestion, but why not use vga=normal, which is text mode, instead of
    > graphics. You don't get the boot logo, but it does give you all the boot
    > messages on 80x24. I have been having the same issues, with an Nvidia card,
    > and I decided it wasn't worth spending any time on it, since I really just
    > wanted to see the messages, not any pictures.

    I've found that using "rivafb" does not work with my Geforce3, and from
    talking to various people on IRC about it I get the impression that rivafb
    is broken for any card newer than Geforce2. "vesafb" though works quite
    well with never NVidia cards.

    If I build my kernels with "rivafb" enabled I get a blank screen as well,
    but using "vesafb" all is fine (so is just plain vga=normal or
    vga=extended, but I prefer the fb console :)

    Just my 0.02 euro

    / Jesper Juhl

      Last update: 2005-03-22 13:59    [W:0.019 / U:126.276 seconds]