    SubjectRe: Page Colouring (was: 2.6.0 Huge pages not working as expected)

    On Mon, Dec 29, 2003 at 02:59:18AM -0800, Mike Fedyk wrote:
    > Any chance some of these changes are self contained, and could be split out
    > and possibly merged into -mm?

    I talked about this for a little while. Basically, there is only one
    concept in the entire patch, despite its large size. The vast bulk of
    the "distributed changes" are s/PAGE_SIZE/MMUPAGE_SIZE/.

    At some point I was told to keep the whole shebang rolling out of tree
    or otherwise not answered by akpm and/or Linus, after I sent in what a
    split up (this is actually very easy to split up file-by-file) version
    of what just some of the totally trivial arch/i386/ changes would look
    like. The nontrivial changes are stupid in nature, but touch "fragile"
    or otherwise "scary to touch" code, and so sort of relegate them to 2.7.
    This is not entirely unjustified, as changes of a similar code impact
    wrt. the GDT appear to have affected some APM systems' suspend ability
    (I know for a fact my changes do not have impacts on APM suspend, but
    other, analogous support issues could arise after broader testing.)

    Basically, the MMUPAGE_SIZE introductions didn't interest anyone a while
    ago, and I suspect people probably just want them all at once, since it's
    unlikely people want to repeat the pain analogous to PAGE_CACHE_SIZE (I
    should clarify later how this is different) where the incremental
    introduction never culminated in the introduction of functionality.

    -- wli

      Last update: 2005-03-22 13:59    [W:0.028 / U:14.240 seconds]