SubjectRe: 2.6.0-mm2

On Mon, 29 Dec 2003, Dmitry Torokhov wrote:

> On Monday 29 December 2003 03:10 pm, Marcos D. Marado Torres wrote:
> > Well, as for me, I still can't get the "mouse tap" working with my Asus
> > M3700N laptop.
>
> Does this laptop have Synaptics hardware?

Yes.

> And are you using native Synaptics
> XFree driver or running with psmouse_proto={bare|imps|exps}?

With 2.6.0 plain or 2.6.0-mjb*

$ cat .config |grep MOUSE
CONFIG_INPUT_MOUSEDEV=y
CONFIG_INPUT_MOUSEDEV_PSAUX=y
CONFIG_INPUT_MOUSEDEV_SCREEN_X=1024
CONFIG_INPUT_MOUSEDEV_SCREEN_Y=768
CONFIG_INPUT_MOUSE=y
CONFIG_MOUSE_PS2=y
# CONFIG_MOUSE_PS2_SYNAPTICS is not set
# CONFIG_MOUSE_SERIAL is not set
# CONFIG_MOUSE_INPORT is not set
# CONFIG_MOUSE_LOGIBM is not set
# CONFIG_MOUSE_PC110PAD is not set
# CONFIG_BUSMOUSE is not set
# CONFIG_USB_MOUSE is not set
$

If I select SYNAPTICS then my mouse taps are over, so I don't use synaptics at all...

In -mm sources (and as I can see in -bk1 it will be in the main branch too) the
patch to remove synaptics configuration option was added, so I have no way (as far
as I can see) to just say that I don't want to use Synaptics, so I can't solve
this problem... .config goes:

$ cat .config |grep MOUSE
CONFIG_INPUT_MOUSEDEV=y
CONFIG_INPUT_MOUSEDEV_PSAUX=y
CONFIG_INPUT_MOUSEDEV_SCREEN_X=1024
CONFIG_INPUT_MOUSEDEV_SCREEN_Y=768
CONFIG_INPUT_MOUSE=y
CONFIG_MOUSE_PS2=y
# CONFIG_MOUSE_SERIAL is not set
# CONFIG_MOUSE_INPORT is not set
# CONFIG_MOUSE_LOGIBM is not set
# CONFIG_MOUSE_PC110PAD is not set
# CONFIG_BUSMOUSE is not set
# CONFIG_USB_MOUSE is not set
$

Of course that being my mouse a Synaptics (at least according to ASUS),
Synaptics should give me the mouse taps, but seeing it does not, I would like
at least to have the option not to compile it...

Further, the idea I got from this patch:

http://www.kernel.org/pub/linux/kernel/v2.5/testing/cset/cset-dtor_core@ameritech.net|ChangeSet|20031219053552|02923.txt

was that the option made no sense since people with no (or bad) synaptics
support wouldn't "suffer" from this (in my case I should still have those mouse
taps...)

Well, there's a chance that there's something I am doing wrong or somewhere my
logic fails, so feedback on this is wanted...

> Native absolute
> mode -> relative PS/2 protocol translation that is done by mousedev does not
> do taps. At all.
>
> Dmitry

Thanks,
Mind Booster Noori

- --
Marcos Daniel Marado Torres AKA Mind Booster Noori
/"\ http://student.dei.uc.pt/~marado
\ / marado@student.dei.uc.pt
X ASCII Ribbon Campaign
/ \ against HTML e-mail and Micro$oft attachments

  Last update: 2005-03-22 13:59    [W:0.082 / U:0.172 seconds]