    SubjectRe: Page Colouring (was: 2.6.0 Huge pages not working as expected)

    On Mon, 29 Dec 2003, William Lee Irwin III wrote:

    > I can't say I'm particularly encouraged by what I've heard thus far,

    Well, I don't even know what your approach is - mind giving an overview?

    My original plan (and you can see some of it in the fact that
    PAGE_CACHE_SIZE is separate from PAGE_SIZE), was to just have the page
    cache be able to use bigger pages than the "normal" pages, and the
    normal pages would continue to be the hardware page size.

    However, especially with mem_map[] becoming something of a problem, and
    all the problems we'd have if PAGE_SIZE and PAGE_CACHE_SIZE were
    different, I suspect I'd just be happier with increasing PAGE_SIZE
    altogether (and PAGE_CACHE_SIZE with it), and then just teaching the VM
    mapping about "fractional pages".

    What's your approach?

    Linus

      Last update: 2009-11-18 23:46    [W:0.020 / U:30.656 seconds]