    SubjectRe: [CFT/PATCH] give sound/oss/trident a holiday cleanup for 2.6
    Linus Torvalds wrote:
    > On Mon, 29 Dec 2003, Jeff Garzik wrote:
    >>Thirty separate patches is OK.
    >>We have scripts to handle "patchbombs".
    > Yes and no.
    > Thirty separate patches make sense if they are independent and really do
    > conceptually different things. Then it makes sense to have them as
    > separate checkins, and be able to tell people "ok, try undoing that one,
    > maybe that's the problem".
    > However, if they are all just "fix silly bugs in xxx", then I'd much
    > rather see it as one big patch. Having it split up into "fix bug on line
    > 50" and "fix bug on line 75" just doesn't make any sense - it only makes
    > the patch history harder to follow.

    There's certainly a middle ground. For drivers I generally request that
    bug fixes for separate bugs be split up, since inevitably one bug fix
    out of twenty breaks for somebody on that somebody's weird hardware.

      Last update: 2005-03-22 13:59    [W:0.022 / U:6.528 seconds]