    From: linux-kernel-owner@vger.kernel.org
    [mailto:linux-kernel-owner@vger.kernel.org] On Behalf Of Christophe Saout
    Sent: den 29 december 2003 18:08
    To: arjanv@redhat.com
    Cc: Nicklas Bondesson; linux-kernel@vger.kernel.org
    Subject: Re: ataraid in 2.6.?

    Am Mo, den 29.12.2003 schrieb Arjan van de Ven um 10:49:

    > the plan is to have a userspace device mapper app take it's place.
    > As for the timeframe; I'm looking at it but the userspace device
    > mapper code is still a bit of a mystory to me right now.

    It is? I think it's kind of simple (probably, if you know what's going on
    ;)). Which interface are you looking it?

    I'm just looking at the ataraid code. Is my assumption correct, that it
    simply interleaves sectors between two harddisks? Even sector number -> hd1,
    odd number -> hd2?

    Using the simple dmsetup tool one could try something like:

    echo 0 $(expr $(blockdev --getsize /dev/<HD1>) \* 2) stripe 2 1 /dev/<HD1> 0
    /dev/<HD2> 0 | dmsetup create ataraid

    Where <HD1> and <HD2> should of course be replaced by the raw disks.

    If everything is correct a device /dev/mapper/ataraid should be created.

    Using libdevmapper something like:
    dm_task_create(DM_DEVICE_CREATE)
    dm_task_task_set_name (required)
    dm_task_set_uuid (optional)
    dm_task_add_target (only once in this case, contains the stripe target)
    dm_task_set_ro (if readonly) dm_task_set_major / _minor (if you don't want a
    dynamically allocated) dm_task_run

    --
    Christophe Saout <christophe@saout.de>