    SubjectRe: Best Low-cost IDE RAID Solution For 2.6.x? (OT?)
    Johannes Ruscheinski wrote:

    > Hi,
    > We're looking for a low-cost high-reliability IDE RAID solution that works well
    > with the 2.6.x series of kernels. We have about 1 TB (8 disks) that we'd
    > like to access in a non-redundant raid mode. Yes, I know, that lack of
    > redundancy and high reliability are contradictory. Let's just say that
    > currently we lack the funding to do anything else but we may be able to obtain
    > more funding for our disk storage needs in the near future.

    It really depends on what you mean by low cost? The ony ide raid
    controller that does 8 PATA drives well under linux is the 3ware
    controller. For SATA drives you have the 3ware, and adaptec controller.
    In theroy the highpoint 8 port sata card would be a good canidate
    for software raid, but highpoint has yet to cough up an open source
    drive yet.

    It you want to go the software raid route and have 2 spare pci solts.
    You can go with either the high point rocket raid 454 (PATA), or the
    promise SATA150 TX4.

    I really don't recommend any of promise's cards that use use the i2o
    driver, or any sort of binary only driver.

    PS- Why not at least run software raid 5? It takes far less cpu than
    you'd think, and can save your ass.

      Last update: 2005-03-22 13:59    [W:0.030 / U:2.340 seconds]