SubjectRe: OSS sound emulation broken between 2.6.0-test2 and test3
On Sat, 2003-12-27 at 14:33, Martin Schlemmer wrote:
> On Sat, 2003-12-27 at 15:08, Edward Tandi wrote:

> > > Can you check which one actually fixes it ?
> >
> > Yes, its the 'whole-frag' line.
> >

> Well, I can't say I can see why. In snd_pcm_oss_write1 where the change
> for whole-frag was, I cannot see a race or such. The only possible
> causes I can see, is that:
> 1) xmms's scheduling gets screwed due to the short writes
> 2) some drivers may have issues with getting short writes all the time.
>
> Only problem with 2), is that Zinf works fine for you, so I guess the
> only thing to assume is that either Zinf do not use OSS, but ALSA
> interface, or that 1) is indeed the correct answer. What version of
> XMMS do you use btw?

I was originally running 1.2.7 when I first encountered the problem. I
then built 1.2.8 -but no difference.

Zinf does indeed use the ALSA interface (as most apps do nowadays).

I would say the symptoms are that the music starts playing OK bit after
a short period (18-19 seconds), the music changes overall speed (by a
semi-tone or so). When it does this, the sound also starts to break up.
This is why I associated the problem with the process scheduling changes
being made at the time.

It could be a driver issue. FYI, I am using a VIA KT400 chipset. Any one
know of any low-level timing issues with the KT400?

Ed-T.

  Last update: 2005-03-22 13:59    [W:0.099 / U:1.320 seconds]