    SubjectRe: atapi cd reported twice in dmesg??
    On Fri, 26 Dec 2003, xander vanwiggen wrote:

    > Hello,
    > I'm migrating to 2.6 after having used 2.0,2.2,2.4 for quite
    > some years now.
    > At a first glance, I read ide-scsi is dropped. Okay, no SCSI
    > support at all for me then. I have one CD writer, and now it
    > gets reported twice, which I don't understand. I have
    > set. dmesg reports: "hdc: PCRW804, ATAPI CD/DVD-ROM drive" first
    > (ok), then "hdc: ATAPI 32X CDROM CD-R/RW drive, 2048kB Cache,
    > DMA". Prior to the second report, an error is generated:
    > "end_request: I/O error, dev hdc, sector 0". Reading works fine,
    > haven't tested writing yet (nor installed X, hence the omission
    > of blank lines in this mail). Is this a RTFM problem...? Kindest
    > regards, Xander.

    I'm still running 2.4 on this box, with a combi drive as the primary
    slave. That shows twice too, as

    hdb: HL-DT-ST RW/DVD GCC-4320B, ATAPI CD/DVD-ROM drive

    and then _many_ lines later is the second part

    hdb: attached ide-scsi driver.
    scsi1: SCSI host adapter emulation for IDE ATAPI devices
    Vendor: HL-DT-ST Model: RW/DVD GCC-4320B Rev: 1.01
    Type: CD-ROM ANSI SCSI revision: 02

    So I guess all that's happening is that the two parts come together
    when we give up ide-scsi. The error messages look as if the kernel is
    trying to find any partitions, which isn't going to happen without media
    - you should see how many error messages I get from an ATPAI ZIP drive
    in 2.4 when I boot without media, but they're nothing to worry about.

    I'm as free as a bird now, and this bird you cannot chain.

      Last update: 2005-03-22 13:59    [W:0.045 / U:70.864 seconds]