SubjectRE: Re: [License of kernel components] linux-2.x.y/Documentation/logo.GIF should be logo.PNG?
Gene Heskett <gene.heskett@verizon.net> wrote (23th, 2003 6:07 pm)
>>Re: [License of kernel components] linux-2.x.y/Documentation/logo.GIF
should be logo.PNG?

> On Tuesday 23 December 2003 10:20, xan2@ono.com wrote:
> >Hi,
> >
> >I believe that the tux logo located at
> >linux-2.6.0/Documentation/logo.gif is the image that appears on the
> >boot of the system if framebuffer is enabled, isn't it?
> >
> >In this cas, and also if it's only for documentation purpose, I
> > think that we could change the propietary (and I think patented)
> > format of this logo (gif) to anyone that were free (for example
> > like PNG format [that has GPL licensed]).
>
> I don't think GIF was ever "proprietary", but the l-z-w compression
> used was patented. The patent expired earlier this year. So gif
> is
> back.

Sorry. I'm outdated. ;-)
But, why not support a opensource format like PNG?
And yes, now is expired but i think that we (the kernel users) used the
gif format one year ago (I think that it's trivial to check that 2.4.x
series used gif format. So they (patent registers of LZW) might demand
the money that we did not pay to their.

Regards,
Xan.

  Last update: 2005-03-22 13:59    [W:0.036 / U:0.872 seconds]