    SubjectRe: IDE-SCSI oops in 2.6.0-test11
    In article <>,
    Ed Sweetman <> wrote:
    | wrote:
    | > CPU: Athlon-XP 2700+
    | > MB: ASUS A7N8X Deluxe
    | > Memory: 3 x 512MB
    | > Notes: UP kernel, standard EIDE driver, boot paramters acpi=off
    | > nolapic,noapic
    | > Libc: glibc-2.3.2 with linuxthreads.
    | >
    | > This error occurs while trying to write a DVD+RW to an NEC-1300A DVD
    | > writer
    | > using cdrecord-dvdpro executable (no source available). This works fine
    | > on linux-2.4.23.
    | >
    | First off, acpi should be working just fine now...should have been for
    | the last couple versions of 2.6.0-test.

    Is that "should have been working" as in "I believe it to be working" or
    "dammit they said it was working?"

    | Second, you probably shouldn't be using ide-scsi. ATAPI works just fine
    | using straight ide for CDR's so it probably works fine for DVD-R+R+RW
    | whatever stupid acronymn they're using today.

    ATAPI works fine for programs which know about it and are
    Linux-specific. Programs expecting SCSI devices, which work on Linux
    2.4, Solaris, SCO, and even Windows (I'm told) want SCSI.

    | Third, you didn't post the actual oops so how is anyone supposed t osay
    | anything about this problem?

    Your mail was truncated, I believe.

    | Fourth, you are using a binary you didn't compile that's probably
    | compiled against headers for api's found in 2.4.x which is seriously
    | different from the kernel you're running it on. Compile your own
    | cdrecord and see how it goes.

    You missed the "binary only" in his post. That software is no more
    available in source than Windows.

    I think the real point is not that it doesn't work, but that it oops's
    the system. I would regard anything which a user can do which causes an
    oops as a critical problem.

    bill davidsen <>
    CTO, TMR Associates, Inc

      Last update: 2005-03-22 13:59    [W:0.020 / U:13.400 seconds]