    SubjectRe: Linux 2.4 future
    Date
    On Tuesday 02 December 2003 14:09, Linus Torvalds wrote:
    >On Tue, 2 Dec 2003, Jan-Benedict Glaw wrote:
    >> Whenever The ABI Question (TM) comes up, it seems to be about
    >> claiming a (binary compatible) interface - mostly for modules. But
    >> I think it's widely accepted that there isn't much work done to
    >> have these truly (sp?) binary compatible (eg. UP/SMP spinlocks et
    >> al.).
    >
    >Absolutely. It's not going to happen. I am _totally_ uninterested in
    > a stable ABI for kernel modules, and in fact I'm actively against
    > even _trying_. I want people to be very much aware of the fact that
    > kernel internals do change, and that this will continue.
    >
    >There are no good excuses for binary modules. Some of them may be
    >technically legal (by virtue of not being derived works) and
    > allowed, but even when they are legal they are a major pain in the
    > ass, and always horribly buggy.
    >
    >I occasionally get a few complaints from vendors over my
    > non-interest in even _trying_ to help binary modules. Tough. It's a
    > two-way street: if you don't help me, I don't help you. Binary-only
    > modules do not help Linux, quite the reverse. As such, we should
    > have no incentives to help make them any more common than they
    > already are. Adn we do have a lot of dis-incentives.
    >
    > Linus

    Very well said Linus. And of course I have no problem understanding
    the reasons behind the reasoning. However, that doesn't help us pour
    schmucks out here in la-la land trying to make the most recent nvidia
    module work with the latest kernel on our now elderly gforce2's. I'd
    like to have some OpenGL support for instance, but for everything
    else, nv is probably 100x more stable than the nvidia binary. So we
    run nv. Maybe someday nvidia will get baptised, but *I'm* not
    counting on it.

    Its not your emails (as Linus) to nvidia that will fix that, but a
    concerted effort, emailing them for a resolution from everyone who
    owns one of their products _might_ eventually make a difference.
    OTOH, they're going to listen to their IP lawyers & not us. so...

    --
    Cheers, Gene
    AMD K6-III@500mhz 320M

      Last update: 2005-03-22 13:59    [W:0.022 / U:32.540 seconds]