SubjectRe: 2.6 vs 2.4 regression when running gnomemeeting

Christian Meder wrote:

>On Sat, 2003-12-20 at 01:21, Nick Piggin wrote:
>
>>Christian Meder wrote:

>>>Hi,
>>>
>>>I've attached the tarred output of a gnomemeeting run without load and
>>>without distortions and another tarred output of a gnomemeeting run
>>>while compiling a kernel with severe distortions in the audio stream.
>>>

>>You're getting a lot fewer interrupts in the loaded case. Maybe its
>>the sound card driver that has the regression from 2.4? It could be
>>that 2.6 allows a smaller sound fragment size which is more stressful.
>>

>Well I had the same problem with the OSS driver on 2.6. Now I use the
>ALSA driver because I thought that could possibly improve things. The
>ALSA driver is better indeed but it doesn't change this particular
>phenomenon. Additionally I'd guess that the latest ALSA driver in 2.4
>and 2.6 doesn't differ significantly and 2.4.2x with the latest ALSA
>works great while 2.6 doesn't.

Sounds reasonable. Maybe its large interrupt or scheduling latency
caused somewhere else. Does disk activity alone cause a problem?
find / -type f | xargs cat > /dev/null
how about
dd if=/dev/zero of=./deleteme bs=1M count=256

You said it faired slightly better with my scheduler when renicing
gnome meeting to -10. How much better is that?

whats your /proc/cpuinfo?

  Last update: 2005-03-22 13:59    [W:0.317 / U:0.028 seconds]