Subject[OT] use of patented algorithms in the kernel ok or not?
From
Hi,

Apologies for posting this OT question here, I didn't find this question
answered in the FAQ.

There's a fast algorithm for longest-prefix match (as used in IPv4 routing
table lookups) which I have implemented, and would like to submit for
inclusion into the kernel (when 2.7 opens.)

However, I am aware that there is a patent on this algorithm, exclusively
licensed to a major manufacturer of networking equipment.

What am I to do? Ignore the patent? Or should I refrain from submitting
the patch I wrote, and look for an unencumbered algorithm instead?

thanks,
Lennert