    Subject[OT] use of patented algorithms in the kernel ok or not?

    Apologies for posting this OT question here, I didn't find this question
    answered in the FAQ.

    There's a fast algorithm for longest-prefix match (as used in IPv4 routing
    table lookups) which I have implemented, and would like to submit for
    inclusion into the kernel (when 2.7 opens.)

    However, I am aware that there is a patent on this algorithm, exclusively
    licensed to a major manufacturer of networking equipment.

    What am I to do? Ignore the patent? Or should I refrain from submitting
    the patch I wrote, and look for an unencumbered algorithm instead?

      Last update: 2005-03-22 13:59    [W:0.019 / U:0.716 seconds]