SubjectRe: PCI Express support for 2.4 kernel

On Wed, 17 Dec 2003, Vladimir Kondratiev wrote:

> What you will miss, is uniform access for all devices, including those
> you are not managing as PCI-E. Notable example is bridges. I can't
> provide more info (see prev. mail about brain dead, I don't want it to
> be my last day at work), but you may found appropriate to tweak some
> stuff for bridges in extended space. One may use /proc/bus/pci/ or
> 'setpci' for this. Obviously, in this case you have no driver, and
> generic access method would help you. Also, 'lspci' don't know about
> device drivers, it need generic way to access config.

Ok, the /proc/bus/pci argument is a pretty good one, so having a uniform
way to access the config space sounds fair.

And it doesn't look that ugly any more, so I guess if just the detection
can be fixed (and real devices enter the market) I don't see any reason
not to do it that way.

Linus

  Last update: 2009-11-18 23:46    [W:0.094 / U:0.140 seconds]