    SubjectRe: Catching NForce2 lockup with NMI watchdog
    On Sat, 13 Dec 2003, Bill Davidsen wrote:

    > > Well, the NMI watchdog is a side-effect feature that works by chance
    > > rather than by design. So you can't really complain it doesn't work
    > > somewhere, although I wouldn't mind if new hardware was designed such that
    > > it works. You shouldn't have to use "acpi=force" for the watchdog to work
    > > though and for a PII system if "nmi_watchdog=1" doesn't work, then I
    > > suspect a BIOS bug (set APIC_DEBUG to 1 in asm-i386/apic.h and send me the
    > > bootstrap log and a dump from `mptable' for a diagnosis, if interested).
    >
    > Has the check to see if the BIOS is old than very recent been removed? I
    > used to get a message that the BIOS was too old, I believe that's what
    > prompted the acpi to enable the local apic. Sorrt, I've been running that
    > feature since 2.5.3x or so and I just carried it forward.

    I don't know what check you refer to, sorry. I don't think we do any
    version checks in the APIC code. Perhaps ACPI does some, but having no
    use for it anywhere I'm not familiar with that area.

    If the "nmi_watchdog=1" option doesn't work for a PII system, then its
    most likely a bug in BIOS IRQ routing tables -- either missing or broken
    entries for the 8254 timer and/or the 8259A ExtINTA source.