    SubjectRe: 2.4.23-bk bogus edd changeset - Re: 2.4.23 compile error in edd
    On Wed, 10 Dec 2003, Matt Domsch wrote:

    > > The ds segment is not pointing to the correct segment AND/OR the offsets
    > > into the segment used for the writes are bogus. You write straight into
    > > ds and ds:si referenced memory but you never setup ds in the first
    > > place. So the writes done by the EDD code corrupt the loaded compressed
    > > kernel and the decompression fails.
    >
    > ds is set up already to point at the empty_zero_page, else none of
    > what I'm doing is correct. But, it is very likely that something else
    > is using 0x228 in empty_zero_page but isn't marked as using it in
    > Documentation/i386/zero-page.txt.
    >
    > You've been patient, and thorough. As another test, could you change
    > include/asm-i386/edd.h: DISK80_SIG_BUFFER from 0x228 to 0x2cc (the
    > four bytes immediately before the e820 memory buffer), and see if that
    > helps? If so, I'll submit a patch to use that instead, and another
    > that markes 0x228 as in use by something else.

    Hi Matt,

    sorry for the delay but I am now on holidays until January because of my
    impending wedding and I won't be back at work, where the affected PC lives
    until 5th or 6th January (whichever is the Monday). I will try it then,
    sorry to have to keep you waiting so long.

    Best regards,

    Anton
    Linux NTFS maintainer / IRC: #ntfs on irc.freenode.net
    WWW: http://linux-ntfs.sf.net/ & http://www-stu.christs.cam.ac.uk/~aia21/