    SubjectRe: 'bad: scheduling while atomic!', preempt kernel, 2.6.1-test11, reading an apparently duff DVD-R

    On Mon, 15 Dec 2003, Toad wrote:
    > I recompiled the kernel with IDE-SCSI, preemption, taskfile, and a few
    > other things disabled. With the result that it worked. But of course I
    > can't _write_ DVDs without IDE-SCSI (short of obtaining a SCSI
    > writer)...

    Well, that "of course" shouldn't be there - it should work, using the
    standard cdrecord.

    You don't even need to recompile a cdrecord if you have a reasonably
    recent distibution. Just use

    cdrecord dev=/dev/hdc

    and it should "just work".

    There's been at least one report that trying to write a DVD with packet
    writing (ie by just mounting it read-write and writing to it) doesn't
    work. That one seems to be due to the generic cdrom.c code getting the
    size of the disk wrong. There was a patch floating around for testing, but
    I never got any feedback on that apart from the original success story.

    But if you have a DVD-R, then that shouldn't even be an issue, methinks.

      Last update: 2009-11-18 23:46    [W:0.018 / U:28.696 seconds]