    SubjectRe: PCI Express support for 2.4 kernel
    Richard B. Johnson wrote:
    <discussion regarding initializers for static vars>

    Let's stop this discussion, it leads to nowhere. Probable, yes,
    initializer do add bytes to the data segment. But it does not make
    difference for memory image after loading, do it?

    Does this difference in executable size worth potential risk of error?

    Anyway, common style in kernel seems to be to do initialize static vars,
    even to 0. There are plenty of examples, including the same file, (for
    2.4.23)

    arch/i386/kernel/pci-pc.c:32
    static int pci_using_acpi_prt = 0;

    or

    arch/i386/kernel/setup.c:1241
    static int tsc_disable __initdata = 0;

    Finally, let's stop this thread. Let it be up to person who will be (if
    it will happen) checking this code into kernel, to decide on coding
    style. I, personally, value code clarity more then 4 bytes in executable
    size. But I will not object if more experienced kernel maintainers have
    another priority.

    Vladimir.

      Last update: 2005-03-22 13:59    [W:0.023 / U:92.540 seconds]