    SubjectRe: PCI Express support for 2.4 kernel
    On Dec-15 2003, Mon, 11:55 -0500
    Richard B. Johnson <root@chaos.analogic.com> wrote:

    > Easy way to remember is that if you have either a static or a global
    > variable that is initialized, it will be in the .data segment and,
    > therefore take up space in the executable. If it is not initialized,
    > it will be in the .bss segment, automatically zeroed by the loader.
    > In this case, the executable contains length information, not the data.
    > Local variables are never initialized unless there's an '=' in the
    > code.

    I think you guys are all missing Vladimir's point, which is that gcc
    is able to detect that an explicit initialization of a static variable
    happens to be to the value of ZERO, and place the variable in .bss
    _in spite of the initialization_.

    --
    Tomas Szepe <szepe@pinerecords.com>