    SubjectRe: Linux, Inc. (Re: Linux GPL and binary module exception clause?)
    On Saturday 13 December 2003 19:06, Andre Hedrick wrote:
    > Part II ...
    > Given the issue of binary module vendors not native to Linux rules and
    > standards, there becomes a need for a review body.

    And thus a new layer of bureaucracy would be added to address a non-problem.
    Study the history of usenix, will you? Pay special attention to how it killed
    Atlanta Linux Showcase. (Ask Peter Salus.)

    > Given the problem of
    > most binary vendors are idiots and clueless, it provides a certification
    > for a given kernel.

    Sturgeon's law says that 90% of them are going to be clueless idiots, but
    that's nothing special. The ones who make the binary modules that we
    actually care about are the 10% that _aren't_.

    Nvidia, specifically, would love to release its code but it can't due to
    having licensed chunks of it from suppliers. (Nvidia doesn't own all its own
    IP, it licenses huge chunks of it.)

    > It is short of racketeiring (sp) but it mean nobody gets to use all of
    > our hard work with out paying for it. This is fair and equitable.

    If you're mad that people use your hard work without paying for it, you have
    missed the entire POINT of open source.

    I, personally, am fairly certain I have never paid you a dime. My laptop has
    IDE in it, so I'd guess I'm using your work. You have my thanks. You do not
    have any of my money. If this really bothers you, put a paypal link on your
    web page.

    > Oh yeah in order to be invited to the board or advisory board you have to
    > have some time in slavery to the kernel and continue to contribute. Yeah
    > I am back off the nutter wagon and running around free again!

    I've run volunteer organizations. I co-founded Penguicon, and I'm doing
    another one called Linucon here in Austin. I put about $1000 of my own money
    into Penguicon, and I'm probably going to put more than that into Linucon,
    yet nobody involved with it actually got paid. It was entirely volunteer
    run. Even our guests of honor didn't get paid. We flew Terry Pratchett in
    from England (a man who claims he had to switch banks having "filled the
    first one up" with book royalties), and although we bought his plane ticket,
    hotel room, and meals, we didn't actually give the man a dime. (We did give
    him a badge ribbon that said "Geek", though, but that was more an award.)
    And he agreed to do it, and an important part was that nobody ELSE involved
    with it was paid a dime either, so it was hard to be jealous.

    You've never run a volunteer effort. It shows. You clearly, profoundly, DO
    NOT UNDERSTAND how it works. I admit it's a fairly tough thing to learn
    about from outside...

    Here, this absolutely _sucks_, but it's the closest to a related write-up I've

    And some australian woman's follow-up...

    I've needed to do a better write-up of this (that isn't stale, wrong in
    places, profoundly incomplete, and for a business audience) for years. Bug
    me off-list if you're interested...

    (Darn it, I ran a PANEL on this at Penguicon, with Jay Maynard of the Hercules
    project. I just haven't got a convenient write-up I can point you to...)

      Last update: 2005-03-22 13:59    [W:0.024 / U:47.592 seconds]