SubjectRe: Catching NForce2 lockup with NMI watchdog
Date
>Having had cause to try and figure out all this, I vote for the following being
> included in the source somewhere...
>-g

Please consider adding

2c. Alternatively the OUT0 output of the 8254 PIT (IOW the timer source) may be
directly connected to the INTIN0 input of the first I/O APIC.

which we have found for nforce2 boards.
ref:

Ross Dickson

>bill davidsen wrote:
> > In article <Pine.LNX.4.55.0312101421540.31543@jurand.ds.pg.gda.pl>,
> > Maciej W. Rozycki <macro@ds2.pg.gda.pl> wrote:
> >
> > | The I/O APIC NMI watchdog utilizes the property of being transparent to a
> > | single IRQ source of a specially reconfigured 8259A PIC (the master one in
> > | the IA32 PC architecture). There are more prerequisites that have to be
> > | met and all indeed are for a 100% compatible PC as specified by the
> > | Intel's Multiprocessor Specification.
> > |
> > | 1. The INT output of the master 8259A PIC has to be connected to the LINT0
> > | (or LINTIN0; the name varies by implementations) inputs of all local APICs
> > | in the system.
> > |
> > | 2a. The OUT0 output of the 8254 PIT (IOW the timer source) has to be
> > | directly connected to the INTIN2 input of the first I/O APIC.
> > |
> > | 2b. Alternatively the INT output of the master 8259A PIC has to be
> > | connected to the INTIN0 input of the first I/O APIC.
> > |
> > | 3. There must be no glue logic that would change logical properties of the
> > | signal between the INT output of the master 8259A PIC and the respective
> > | APIC interrupt inputs.
> > |
> > | In practice, assuming the MP IRQ routing information provided the BIOS has
> > | been correct (which is not always the case), prerequisites #1 and #2 have
> > | been met so far, but #3 has proved to be occasionally problematic.
> >
> > In practice many system seem to take a good bit of guessing and testing.
> > I have an old P-II which only works with acpi=force and nmi_watchdog=2,
> > for instance.
> >
> > It would be nice if there were a program which could poke at the
> > hardware and suggest options which might work, as in eliminating the
> > ones which can be determined not to work. Absent that trial and error
> > rule, unfortunately.

  Last update: 2005-03-22 13:59    [W:0.044 / U:0.176 seconds]