    SubjectRe: Increasing HZ (patch for HZ > 1000)
    Pavel Machek <> writes:

    >> > Every notebook from thinkpad 560X up has produced some kind of
    >> > cpu-load-related-noise. You'd have to throw out quite a lot of
    >> > notebooks...
    >> You're right, I'm probably not the only one. It may be worth at least
    >> having an option to change HZ to less annoying values. Otherwise there
    >> are going to be lots of complaints when people try out 2.6 on their
    >> laptops and hear that noise. On mine, I seriously could not stand the
    >> noise more than 5 minutes. Not because it was that loud but 1 kHz is
    >> really annoying.
    > Okay, we are probably taking other sounds. I can hear cpu-load-related
    > noise on every notebook from thinkpad 560X -- in a quiet room, and on
    > some machines its rather hard to notice. You probably have way more
    > annoying problem.

    My laptop makes a slight noise in the speakers when there are
    interrupts. It's only noticeable with an external amplifier
    connected. There's also some ~1 kHz sound coming from the vicinity of
    the CPU, particularly when there is network activity.

    Måns Rullgård

      Last update: 2005-03-22 13:59    [W:0.021 / U:12.748 seconds]