SubjectRe: Increasing HZ (patch for HZ > 1000)
Pavel Machek <> writes:

>> > Every notebook from thinkpad 560X up has produced some kind of
>> > cpu-load-related-noise. You'd have to throw out quite a lot of
>> > notebooks...
>> You're right, I'm probably not the only one. It may be worth at least
>> having an option to change HZ to less annoying values. Otherwise there
>> are going to be lots of complaints when people try out 2.6 on their
>> laptops and hear that noise. On mine, I seriously could not stand the
>> noise more than 5 minutes. Not because it was that loud but 1 kHz is
>> really annoying.
> Okay, we are probably taking other sounds. I can hear cpu-load-related
> noise on every notebook from thinkpad 560X -- in a quiet room, and on
> some machines its rather hard to notice. You probably have way more
> annoying problem.

My laptop makes a slight noise in the speakers when there are
interrupts. It's only noticeable with an external amplifier
connected. There's also some ~1 kHz sound coming from the vicinity of
the CPU, particularly when there is network activity.

Måns Rullgård