    SubjectRe: [linux-usb-devel] Re: [OOPS, usbcore, releaseintf] 2.6.0-test10-mm1
    > > I don't know if you've been following this thread or not, but the oops
    > > occurred when I modified usbfs to hold a reference to the usb_device
    > > until no-one was using a given usbfs file.
    > That's a good thing to do. It should work.
    > > I guess this means that I should change my patch so that the reference
    > > to the usb_device is dropped as soon as possible, right?
    > No, the bug should be fixed. I've seen this bug happen if someone has a
    > usb-serial device open and then unload the host controller driver. In
    > fact, I think there's a bugzilla entry just for that...

    Hi Greg, what I meant was: should I make my patch friendlier to rmmod by
    trying hard to drop the reference as soon as possible, though some code paths
    may have to hold on to it for a long time (cost: code complication), or is it OK
    to always hang onto the usb_device as long as one of the usbfs files is open
    (cost: rmmod may take a long or infinite time; advantages: simple, robust)?
    This lowly one humbly awaits enlightenment... :)

      Last update: 2005-03-22 13:59    [W:0.144 / U:2.868 seconds]