    SubjectRe: [ACPI] ACPI global lock macros
    Andi Kleen wrote:

    > It has even more bugs, e.g. it doesn't tell gcc that GLptr is modified (this hurts with
    > newer versions that optimize more aggressively)

    GLptr itself isn't modified - *GLptr is, but none of the actual C code
    accesses *GLptr, so how does this affect the compiler's optimization
    efforts? Is it because gcc treats the call as a pure function that maps
    a pointer to an acquired value, and hence believes that it can move it
    around? There aren't any instances of ACPI_ACQUIRE_GLOBAL_LOCK being
    called twice in the same function, so it wouldn't be able to cache a
    result. But I agree that it ought to declare that it clobbers memory.

    Paul

      Last update: 2005-03-22 13:59    [W:0.038 / U:1.356 seconds]