SubjectRe: Driver API (was Re: Linux GPL and binary module exception clause?)

Jason> Peter Chubb writes:

>> One of the things we're working on here is an ABI to allow device
>> drivers to live in user space, by enabling access to interrupts and
>> PCI DMA.

Jason> This is already available via a commercial product.

...snip...
Jason> http://www.jungo.com/products.html#driver_tools

Yes I know, I read their web page, and if cross-platform compatibility
is what you want it looks a nice way to go. They didn't publish any
performance figures (at least, not where I could find), and
they're binary only,

There's also the LinuxAnt stuff: http://www.linuxant.com that, for
Wireless cards at least, provides a Windows ABI for standard NDIS
drivers; and Hunt et al's work on Windows
http://research.microsoft.com/~galenh/Publications/HuntUsenixNt97.pdf

--
Dr Peter Chubb http://www.gelato.unsw.edu.au peterc AT gelato.unsw.edu.au
The technical we do immediately, the political takes *forever*