    SubjectRe: Linux GPL and binary module exception clause?
    Jesse Pollard <jesse@cats-chateau.net> wrote:

    > > You miss my point. I was talking about a single kernel version. For a
    > > single kernel version, the ABI is both *published* and *stable*. Sure it
    > > may not be what you consider a *clean* or *good* ABI, but it *IS* an
    > > ABI. Note that:
    > >
    > > 1. It is a published ABI because for that one kernel release, all the
    > > source code is available that documents the ABI (albiet badly IYO).
    > >
    > > 2. It is stable because that kernel version will never change on your
    > > machine.
    >
    > Huh? I frequently update the kernel, and the kernel minor version... as
    > well as switch from uniprocessor to SMP. The major version may not change,
    > but that minor one certanly does. And adding SMP changes the ABI for that
    > version. And patches CAN and DO change the ABI, even within the major
    > version.

    So what? You don't change it on *MY* machine, now do you? *MY* version
    remains stable regardless of what *YOU* do unless I update my source
    code.

    > How do you handle the differences in a single version for
    > something like SMP? It is still the same version, but a binary
    > driver for SMP will most likely NOT work on uniprocessor, and even
    > more likey not work if compiled for a uniprocessor under SMP.

    No, it is not the same version. One is the UNI version and one is the SMP
    version. By version of kernel I mean the version of the binary that I am
    building the loadable module to work with. You can just consider the
    UNI/SMP support to be an extension of the version and treat them as
    different versions (after all, you will need two separate modules to
    handle this anyway).

    Regards,

    ---
    Kendall Bennett
    Chief Executive Officer
    SciTech Software, Inc.
    Phone: (530) 894 8400
    http://www.scitechsoft.com

    ~ SciTech SNAP - The future of device driver technology! ~

      Last update: 2005-03-22 13:59    [W:0.030 / U:1.768 seconds]