SubjectRe: Linux GPL and binary module exception clause?
Jesse Pollard <> wrote:

> > You miss my point. I was talking about a single kernel version. For a
> > single kernel version, the ABI is both *published* and *stable*. Sure it
> > may not be what you consider a *clean* or *good* ABI, but it *IS* an
> > ABI. Note that:
> >
> > 1. It is a published ABI because for that one kernel release, all the
> > source code is available that documents the ABI (albiet badly IYO).
> >
> > 2. It is stable because that kernel version will never change on your
> > machine.
> Huh? I frequently update the kernel, and the kernel minor version... as
> well as switch from uniprocessor to SMP. The major version may not change,
> but that minor one certanly does. And adding SMP changes the ABI for that
> version. And patches CAN and DO change the ABI, even within the major
> version.

So what? You don't change it on *MY* machine, now do you? *MY* version
remains stable regardless of what *YOU* do unless I update my source

> How do you handle the differences in a single version for
> something like SMP? It is still the same version, but a binary
> driver for SMP will most likely NOT work on uniprocessor, and even
> more likey not work if compiled for a uniprocessor under SMP.

No, it is not the same version. One is the UNI version and one is the SMP
version. By version of kernel I mean the version of the binary that I am
building the loadable module to work with. You can just consider the
UNI/SMP support to be an extension of the version and treat them as
different versions (after all, you will need two separate modules to
handle this anyway).

Kendall Bennett
Chief Executive Officer
SciTech Software, Inc.
Phone: (530) 894 8400
~ SciTech SNAP - The future of device driver technology! ~